I found heaven on Earth, and it’s floating in the Pacific Ocean.
Cloud 9 Fiji combines everything I love — cocktails, crystal clear water, breathtaking views, and most importantly, pizza. That’s right, Cloud 9 is essentially a floating pizzeria with a fully stocked bar. Sprawled over two stories, the party pontoon offers a nightclub meets island bar feel, a literal dreamboat for both the rowdy and the restful.
Views on views on views. Set in the gorgeous Ro Ro Reef, Cloud 9 is surrounded by the bluest water I’ve ever seen, the essence of Fiji’s uncontaminated beauty. That’s probably why Cloud 9 is a magnet for Instagram influencers (or wannabe influencers), who you’ll surely see coordinating impromptu photoshoots on the sun deck.
While your pizza bakes in the Italian wood-burning oven, you can snorkel, dive off the 3-meter-high ledge, or laze and luxuriate on a daybed, soaking in those 360-degree views. Additional activities such as jet skiing, parasailing, and paddle boarding can also be arranged for an extra cost.
If sipping cocktails by the pool is your idea of a good time, Cloud 9 deserves a spot on your bucket list. Wash down your pizza with a craft cocktail, wine, or local beer, all served with a Fijian smile. Drinks are a bit pricey, but what else would you expect in the middle of the ocean?
Tips to make the most of your visit:
• Charter your own boat. Cloud 9 is a 45-minute boat ride from Port Denarau on Fiji’s mainland, but I recommend staying on a nearby island and booking private transportation through your hotel — it’s just a 10-minute boat ride from Six Senses Fiji!
• Get there early. Whether you opt for the morning or afternoon session, your only chance at scoring a highly coveted daybed is to beat the crowd. If you do manage to snag a bed, earn yourself some karma points by offering it to someone else to enjoy for the last hour.
• Order your pizza ASAP. Think about it: 100 guests and one pizza oven. Slack on getting your order in, and you might have to wait over an hour to get your grub on. Order yourself a pie as soon as you get settled.
• Take Dramamine. Cloud 9 is essentially a boat, and it does indeed bob up and down. If you’re prone to motion sickness, take medication such as Dramamine, which you can get from the nurse at Six Senses or Plantation Island. The upper deck has a bit more motion, so stay below to ensure a more settled stomach.
• Bring a towel. We mistakenly assumed that towels would be provided at Cloud 9, but that was not the case. Be sure to bring a towel if you plan on getting wet.
• Book activities in advance. Note that activities such as jet skiing and parasailing must be booked 48 hours in advance, but no need to pre-book snorkeling.
Best day ever? I think so. There’s a reason it’s called Cloud 9.